Friday, January 29, 2016

Twitter and What I Found There

Twitter is an interesting collection of different perspectives and information that it is nearly impossible to ignore.  It can even be used to find a group of people within an occupation so that you can hear from people who do the same kind of work as you.  For this post, I am going to explore twitter for feeds about computer and software engineering and relay what I find.




1. What kinds of things do people on Twitter seem to be talking about, debating, arguing about or otherwise engaging in meaningful exchanges of ideas about? Give us a descriptive and clear sense of the kinds of stories you're seeing in these Twitter feeds.

When I initially searched twitter for information about software engineering, I got a huge list of job offers for software engineers.  This isn't really a story but I found it reassuring and amusing that the main thing people talk about in regards to software engineering is getting jobs.

In terms of what people are actually talking about, I found a couple feeds that were memeing about how difficult it is being a software engineer in a humorous way.  For instance, they were visually displaying what it  is like being a software engineer, starting with happiness and slowly proceeding to become agitated and full of rage.

Other than that, there really isn't too many "stories" about software engineering that I could find on twitter besides various accomplishments of people and tidbits about what software engineers actually do,

2. In your opinion, what are the two most interesting conversations or stories you found in the Twitter feeds? Hyperlink us to the two different Twitter feeds and explain why you found those conversations interesting. Be specific and honest and be yourself. I don't want you to blah-blah-blah this. I want you to really 

Like previously stated, I couldn't really find that much raw software engineering content outside of job listings.  However, I did find the Stanford Engineering Twitter page to be informative and actually active.  The Stanford page discussed a lot about engineering and provided links to interesting discoveries or cool aspects in the engineering field.  One feed that I had a good laugh at and actually thought was interesting was a post and conversation by twitter user Heather Rivers.  I talked a little bit about this in response to the last question, but I really did find it funny how Heather illustrated the software engineering mindset as time goes on.



3. Overall, what impression do you get of your discipline based on what you saw happening on Twitter? Were the people in these feeds talking in ways you expected or did not expect, about things you anticipated they'd be talking about or things you had no idea they'd be discussing? Explain in concise specific detail.

The main impression that I got about my discipline was that there is always a high demand for the talents of a software engineer.  The conversations that I was able to find were really how I would imagine software engineers to be: qwerky and full of memes.

No comments:

Post a Comment