Friday, February 5, 2016

Analysis of My Rhetorical Situation

A lot of people know about the rhetorical triangle that high school teachers drilled into our minds.  In this post, I am going to be answering questions related to my rhetorical situation for my project that has to do with a genetic engineering controversy.

Ted Major, "RhetoricalTriangle" 1/13/14.  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license.

1. Analyze your audience. 

My audience would be educated people, more specifically those in the engineering, science, and medical fields.  These people would find my topic interesting because it is related to their fields, and the advancement in genetic engineering can lead to benefits for all people.  The audience for my project would most likely be the type to follow science news sources such as Wired.com, and internet forums like reddit.com.  Within this group, those who are religious and wealthier would have a greater interest in my project.  Religious people because they have a strong opposition to genetic engineering's principles, and wealthier people because they can afford the benefits of genetic engineering as well as are the ones who finance the research.


2. Analyze your purpose. 

My purpose in this project is to really analyze both sides of the argument in regards to my controversy, so that my audience has a clear understanding of the information available.  I do not want to make a decision for my audience, but I want them to be able to make the best decision possible for themselves in terms of which side of the argument they support.  I feel like it is important for my audience to be given the facts and not be influenced by yellow journalism/headline media.  

I feel as though a good portion of my audience will relate to the key stakeholders in my controversy, so I want to make sure they understand the views that the stakeholders have.  The setting and time period for my controversy are recent, so I don't feel as though these aspects will have too much of an affect on my audience.  And because my audience are most likely to be educated, I don't think they will have any issues misunderstanding contextual details, but I will make sure to do a quick and easy to understand rundown at the beginning of my project.

3. Analyze your author.

I feel as though I can create a really humorous and creative video essay for this project.  My ability to get information across in an easy to understand and entertaining way is what separates me from my peers.  This story is interesting to me because it has to do with technological advancement and people who oppose such advancement, and I am all for the advancement in technology.  I think the concepts within genetic engineering are pretty awesome but I am wise enough to take in both sides of a story and relay this information to my audience in an unbiased way.

No comments:

Post a Comment