Sunday, April 3, 2016

Rhetorical Analysis of Project 3

With Projects 1 and 2 in the books, it is time to set my sites on the planning phase of Project 3.  Project 3 involves creating a public argument over a specific controversy, and I have decided to argue why people should vote for Donald Trump by disproving common misconceptions about him and illustrating his positions on public issues.  In this post, I am going to go over my personal rhetorical situation for this Project.

Author.

1. How will you draw on any or some of the following for Project 3? Be specific about how your plans for Project 3 connect to some previous, current or burgeoning interest of your own.

The reason I have decided on the topic I stated above for project 3 is because with the election season in full swing, I see a lot of lies and slander being thrown at various candidates, and I noticed that Donald Trump is an unfortunate victim to the agendas of people against him. To explain a little bit about me, I am a Computer Engineering student at the University of Arizona, I have lived in Arizona for all but two years of my life, and I would say I politically identify as a libertarian or at least fairly moderate.

2.    What are the preconceptions, previously held opinions and/or potential areas for 
         personal bias that you should be aware of for Project 3? What about any of the 
         following?:

I think it is important to note that I am mixed race (half-Vietnamese, half white), and both of my parents are independents/moderates. My mom grew up rather poor as she was a refugee from the Vietnam war, but now both my parents would be considered middle to upper-middle class. I was raised Lutheran but religion was never strictly enforced in my household. Being from Arizona, I have grown up in a community with strong conservative and religious values.

Audience. 


How are you thinking about your audience for this project? Who are you going to make this for? Describe them.

I feel like my audience for this project would be my peers (college age kids), as younger people tend to fall on the left side of the political scale, and in general do not like Trump. I know a lot of college kids are very liberal and blindly parrot a lot of the misconceptions that are spread about Trump. I've seen a lot of people who would hate you as a person for supporting Trump, which I feel is rather close-minded. So I have to be sure to keep in mind the dangerous nature of talking about politics, especially with a controversial figure such as Trump.

How are you going to relate to or connect with your audience? Are there any specific words, ideas or ways of arguing that will help you relate to them in this way?

I feel like I can relate to my audience because I am a college aged person as well, and I feel like I am a pretty normal person. I am not misogynist, racist, homophobic, or anything, which are some of the main arguments against Trump. Furthermore, I am not white, whom a lot of people believe are the only people who support Trump.


Think of one specific person or a set of people you know personally or professionally who fall within the definition of ‘target audience’ you’re using for Project 3. What could you tell them or say to them in order to convince them of your perspective? What would need to happen for them to agree with you?

One of my friends actually blindly hates on Trump even though he knows nothing about his policies or actual beliefs. In order to convince them, I would have to hit them with facts and not allow pre-existing conceptions interfere with my argument.

Purpose

What do you want to accomplish with Project 3? What affect do you want it to have on your intended audience?

After giving my argument, I would hope that my audience would want to vote for Donald Trump for president, or at least consider him a legitimate candidate whom isn't just the second coming of Hitler.

Once you’ve done all your research and figured out what you think about the controversy you’ve chosen, what still needs to be accomplished? 

I think an important thing to note is that political views can be varied, and people should not vilify others over their political ideologies.  Furthermore, it is important not to believe everything that is said by the mainstream media, because they have an agenda themselves a majority of the time.


What genre?

I will be writing in a standard college essay format. I have a ton of experience in this genre due to my years in AP English throughout High School, so I feel like I will not have too difficult of a time. In terms of expectations, my essay should be professional and organized properly. The fact that essays are professional will help in an argument because it will make the audience think you know what you are talking about. Furthermore, people tend to associate essays/articles as truth because they look clean and are used to the genre.

When

Are there any historical events that might impact how your audience perceives your argument or the kind of background information or evidence you need to include? For instance, does media reporting on any of the following involve your issue/subject for Project 3?

The mainstream media plays a major role in terms of influence on my audience. A large number of media outlets are openly against Trump, who receives a lot of attention (albeit negative) in their programming. Because of this, people have a lot of preconceived conceptions about Trump although they don't really know his true beliefs. And because the election season is in full swing, there is a lot of political tension and information going around.


Who else is talking about this topic? Provide us with working hyperlinks to coverage of the controversy on FOUR different media outlets.


What are the three or four major counter-arguments you’ll have to respond to, based upon what people are saying in the press/media? Be specific and cite your sources using working hyperlinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment